We left off in this post with finishing up the base of the built-ins. Now it's time to go to the ceiling with book shelves.
The first thing I did, was screw a 1x12 directly into the ceiling. I had trouble finding studs in the ceiling, but find them if you can (after adding the side supports it won't really matter).
I used a 1x12 going up each side wall, screwing it into the studs. I cut a bunch of 1x2's to length and added these as cleats in the corners - using these allows you to nail into the top and sides of each shelf. I just used a little wood glue and brad-nailer to attach these.
Once the top and sides were in, it was time to give it a coat of paint. I'm using the SW color Grizzle Gray mixed in Behr Ultra Satin for the built-ins. I did the back wall and the cabinets at this point before moving on. I love this rich dark gray... it's the same color we used in the dining room too!
Once the paint is dry, we'll begin to add our towers. I lined each of these up the same width as the base cabinets (so each book case tower is 30" wide). Again I used my cleats to anchor and hold them in place. Also make sure you have a level handy for each new piece you add!
Here's a close-up. Nails go side-ways and down securing everything in place. These ends will all be covered with trim, so you won't be able to see them!
Once all the sides were done, I added shelf supports all the way around each book case. I found the studs in the back wall with my stud finder and made sure to anchor each support into the stud.
Then it's finally time to add your shelves! The end is in sight!!
Unlike the bookshelves at our last house, I decided I wanted a taller shelf on the bottom row for decorations, pictures, etc. That's why you keep seeing the globe in these photos, I kept using it as my measurement! I ended up with the bottom shelf 18.5" high and then each other shelf 13.25" from that. It turned out to be the perfect height for most books (you'll see soon!).
This time for trim I just used 1x3's - they covered all the raw edges perfectly and this gives the crown molding something to hold on to!
Quick story, on our last book shelf build that dang crown molding took us a whole year to figure out. We ended up hiring someone just to re-install the crown. So we got smart this time and took the crown off carefully and reused it since it was already cut to length. The side pieces were coped already so we just had to shorten the sides a bit. Much less stressful than last time for sure. Here's my dorky pose to celebrate!
The trim went right down the front of each tower covering all the unfinished edges. For the sides by the walls I used 1x2's as trim.
All it needed was a quick sanding to knock off any rough edges and it was ready for paint... and the final reveal. Stay tuned... (you can now see the final reveal here!)