The only room still not unpacked is the office. It was looking like this... the problem is that we had built-ins at our last house, and here we had a big empty wall. So all our books were stuck in boxes. And the office was looking a mess. Time to fix that...
I'm splitting this post up into 3 parts, because it's just loooonnnngggg. With lots of photos. Stick with me, so you can see how this turns out!! Our last house had a window in the middle of the space, so we did two towers of shelves on either side. In this house, we are covering a whole wall!
I found out unfinished cabinetry was on sale for Black Friday, so I bought what we needed and we got started. Here's the step by step process. (And sorry for the beige walls that cast a yellow tone to all these photos, that will also be remedied soon...)
There are a few affiliate links in this post to help you find the tools I'm talking about. It costs you no extra to use these links, and any comission earned goes to support more blog projects ;)
First, we took up the carpet where the cabinets would sit. We will eventually change the flooring in this room but we aren't ready to do it yet, so we only removed this small section. My husband just cut through the carpet and pad with a knife, and then took up the tack strips. (I was secretly hoping there was hardwood under this carpet...but nope)
This is the handiest tool ever, it cuts through baseboard, and crown molding like butter. I grabbed my Dremel and cut my baseboards where the cabinets will sit. We carefully removed the baseboard along the back wall and set it aside, because we will use it once the cabinets are in place.
The cabinets we are using are actually wall cabinets which means we need to build a base for them to sit on. We cut some 2x4's to the length of the room and added a few spacers. This will raise the cabinets off the floor and give us a sturdy place to set them.
We placed each cabinet on the base, and then using a stud finder, screwed the cabinet into the studs on the back wall. **This is where husbands everywhere joke, that the stud has been found. LOL.**
We chose 30x30x12 unfinished wall cabinets for this project. We've used both Lowe's and Home Depot's cabinets in the past, and Lowe's are a much nicer quality. Just a little FYI.
Keep adding cabinets one by one, screwing each one to the one next to it, and into the stud along the wall.
My favorite all time screw when I'm building something like this are these Kreg Screws, they self tap, so they go right through the wood without any pre-drilling. That's a time saver!
This part comes together nice and quick. We did have a gap on each side (when we divided the wall length by the width of the cabinet, there was a little extra. So I just added a 1x3 to fill in the gap. Once everything is painted, you'd never notice it's there.
The last part of the base is the "counter top". There are a few different ways to do this, I've seen people use butcher block counters like Thrifty Decor Chick did here. The last house we used project panels cut to size which worked, but was a little pricey. So this time I just used 1x12's and 1x2's to form the top. Again, once it's all painted and decorated you won't even know it's two pieces. All I did was run a bead of wood glue along the top of the cabinet and used my brad nailer to secure it to the cabinets.
I did have a seam, so I made sure this would be directly under one of the book case sides helping to hide the seam.
This is where we end for today. The bases are done, and I just added a TON of closed storage to the office. Since these cabinets are so skinny, I find baskets help to keep things organized on the shelves.